Saturday, January 30, 2016

Pale Ale - Hop-Bursting

Two Saturdays ago I brewed my first Pale Ale and tried a different approach to the hop additions - hop bursting. It is discussed in Home Brew: Beyond the Basics by Mike Karnowski, one of the new brewing books I recently purchased. Instead of adding the hops during the boil, they are added at the end and allowed to steep for 45 minutes before chilling the wort. The theory is this method allows for more hop flavors and aroma with a smoother bitterness so I'm interested to see how this beer tastes and smells as compared to others. Perhaps I should brew the same recipe but add the hops to the boil...

  • 10 lbs. North American 2-row malt
  • 1 lb. medium crystal malt (40L)
  • 1 tbsp Irish Moss
  • 26.4 AA units Chinook 
  • 24.4 AA units Citra
  • 16.2 AA units CTZ (Columbus)
  • 1 package Safale US-05
Despite my desire to take a more measured and informed approach to brewing in 2016, I forgot to take the specific gravity of the wort before it was transferred to the fermenter. Next time.

No comments: