Sunday, January 10, 2016

Oatmeal Stout

First brew of 2016: Oatmeal Stout

Decided to do this so it has a long-enough runway to taste really good in the winter of 2016-17. Found this recipe and followed it pretty much spot on:

  • 6.5 lbs. Pale Malt - Maris Otter
  • 1 lb. rolled oats
  • 0.5 lb. roasted barley
  • 0.5 lb. chocolate malt
  • 0.5lb. crystal malt 120L - Briess
  • 1 oz. Willamette (5.2% AA) added at 60 minutes
  • 1 packet Safale S-04 ale yeast (dry)
This was one of the more "by the book" all-grain batches I've done - perhaps I'm getting the hang of it. By that I mean everything went according to schedule. Sometimes the steps take a little longer because I'm waiting for water to get to the right temperature, etc. but this time I started some water on the stove while I was getting out the brewing equipment. I also had two pots of water heating at various times so I had the ability to adjust water temp as I went. 

This was a single infusion mash, resting at 153 degrees for 60 minutes, with a mashout temperature of 170. My only "off-schedule" moment was that the water I needed for the mashout wasn't to 200 degrees when the mash hit 60 minutes so it went for about 70 minutes.

I can't remember the last time I used a dry yeast so fingers cross the pitch was a success. I've read some good reviews of this yeast, which makes me think I'll be fine.

I also am finding my trusty Brewmaster's Bible to be a little short when it comes to all-grain batches so I ordered a few new brewing books, including one that is supposed to be helpful in designing recipes.  I think my next equipment upgrade or modification will be something that aides in sparging. I'd like to devise a way that adds sparge water at the same rate as the runoff. 

No comments: