Sunday, January 31, 2016

Pale Ale Version 2

Brewed a second Pale Ale today using the same recipe as the one from two weeks ago but added the hops in the fashion I'm used to - during the boil. I read that hop additions should be adjusted by 1/3 to 1/2 between the two techniques, so I modified as followed:
  • 10 lbs. North American 2-row malt
  • 1 lb. medium crystal malt (40L)
  • 1 tbsp Irish Moss (at 30 minutes)
  • 13.2 AA units Chinook (1 oz.) at 75 minutes
  • 12.2 AA units Citra (1 oz.) at 15 minutes
  • 16.2 AA units CTZ (Columbus) (1/2 oz.) at 5 minutes 
  • 1 package Safale US-05
I used the same brewing method as last time - a single step infusion mash. The temp of the mash was supposed to be 150 but was more in the 148 range. I also sparged to gather 9 gallons of wort, which was boiled for 75 minutes. I managed to collect a little over 5 gallons for the fermenter, and made a yeast slurry before pitching the dry yeast. I didn't do that last time and it took longer than I anticipated for fermentation to start. Interested to see if this makes a difference. I remembered to take the original gravity, which was 1.040.

I also tried a suggestion from the new book, which recommends putting the wort chiller in the brew pot to sterilize it. I probably won't do this again since it added a bunch of hop particles to the wort in the pail I use to chill to pitching temp. I've never had an issue sterilizing it with One-Step in the bucket before running the boiled wort for chilling into it. 

While the mash and boil were going on, I transferred the previous Pale Ale as well as the Oatmeal Stout to secondaries. I got a little less than 4 gallons of the Pale Ale and just about 5 of the Oatmeal Stout. I didn't try the Pale Ale but it smelled very good and a small sample of the Oatmeal Stout has me full of anticipation for the final product. It was delicious at only three weeks!

No comments: