Monday, January 28, 2013

Apple Jack, Baby!

Although I like to both brew and imbibe a wide variety of alcoholic beverages, I have stayed away from distilled spirits for 3 main reasons: it is illegal, tricky (read expensive), and bad for me. In reverse order of importance.

But, my brother-in-law started brewing this year, by making a batch of hard cider, and like all newbies, was saddened by the amount of product left behind after racking.  So, he researched freeze-distillation and decided to put the lees to good use and make apple jack, that classic beverage of southern Onondaga County and bootleggers of lore north of the Mason Dixon. He brought a mason jar of it to dinner last nite, and it was exceptional.  I drank about 8 oz of what I am guessing is at least 30 proof hooch, the color of the original cider, and strongly tasting of apple goodness, and can report no ill effects: no headache, and vision intact. Just a slight and mellow buzz and red face. Even the ladies took cautious sips and declared it "not as as nasty as I was expecting".

Thus, he seems to have broken the trifecta of distillation nastiness; it is legal, easy (cheap), and not so bad for me.  Now I REALLY want to build an oak barrel(s).  Cause when its this cold out, you should use it to make something to keep you warm.

No comments: