Thursday, May 5, 2011

Well this is a first


This evening I ventured into the beer cellar to put the labels on the Acer ESB. Upon entering, I noticed something amiss. Either a new type of vermin had figured out how to score glass at the base of beer bottles or I'd experienced my first exploding bottle as a result of over-carbonation. While both are a potentially very scary scenario, I am hopeful glass cutting vermin are still a long way down the evolutionary continuum. So I am going with the over-carbonation-weak-bottle theory. And my suspicion is this isn't too far fetched as many of the Irish Stouts we've tried have been on the foamy side. This does cause me concern for (a) the potential for lots of sticky beer in the beer cellar and (b) the safety of others during the process of transporting and opening the bottles. Perhaps I should think about setting the rest of the batch in a fridge to chill them, which I believe will decrease the carbonation activity.

4 comments:

Chris said...

Breaking like that is I believe an indication of a weak bottle. You might test another bottle by wrapping and tapping it. Cold decreases the carbonation temperature, not activity, as boyle's law dictates that gasses are dissolved into liquid easier at lower temps.

Unknown said...

Ah, glad to see someone can recall high school chemistry... I think I purged most of that a decade ago. I'll check a few other bottles to make sure they're "safe".

JoAnna said...

And if you do notice any glass cutting vermin, please let me know ASAP and I'll start wrapping my thousands of ball jars in sandpaper...or something.

Chris said...

Thousands of ball jars? Are they all full of jam? MMmm Jam. Jam. Jam. Jam. Jam.