Saturday, January 15, 2011

Putting down time to use

I've been a bit under the weather the past few days but tried to make the most of it by putting some time into learning more about brewing. I've started reading The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian, which has thus far been more digestible, or should I say drinkable, in content for understanding the art and science behind beer brewing. My other book, Brewmaster's Bible, is richer in recipes, is a great resource for picking what you want to brew, and knowing what to get. Papazian's doesn't contain as many recipes, but I feel is on its way to providing me with the knowledge for developing my own recipes. This could be interesting...

I also discovered Syracuse has a brew club, The Salt City Brew Club, something I probably shouldn't be surprised to find in a city that once had 40 breweries! We're now at 3, so not quite ten percent what we used to be, but it's a start! To learn more about the brewing history, and current trends in the 'cuse, check out the YNN three part series, What's Brewing in Syracuse? Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3. A shout out to the blog I found the YNN series on, Young Grubber Beer & Brewing Blog. Looks like some really great stuff is going on over there.


No comments: