Saturday, November 6, 2010

An art, a craft

There are only a few times in my life I've tasted a beer and been instantly changed, realizing the bar had been elevated yet again. This most recently happened on Thursday when a friend introduced me to Chimay Blue, or Grand Reserve. Brewed by Trappist monks in Belgium, this exquisite brew is unlike anything I've ever tasted. At a potent 9% ABV, I expected it to be strong tasting but it is very well balanced, and can be consumed too easily (as I discovered a little too late). Another brew to add to the list of "can I do this too?"

I also recently tried Tusker Premium Lager, which I was pleasantly surprised to find not like any other lager I've ever tried. It was truly crisp and refreshing, and didn't leave me wishing I'd gone with an ale instead.

All this to say, I've finally gotten up the gumption to try the Lilac Sour Ale and... it's not so bad. So a trip was made to E.J. Wren's for supplies to brew a new batch to cut with the old - to temper the sourness - and get the ingredients for what at first was going to be a porter but switched to an Irish Cream Stout from The Brewmaster's Bible. Tweaked things a little:
  • 1/2# English crystal malt (120L)
  • 1/4# chocolate malt
  • 1/2# roasted barley
  • 2 4# cans Mountmellick dark plain malt
  • 1 oz. U.K. Northern Brewer hop pellets (Northdown) 10.6% AA
  • 1/2 oz. Kent Golding hop pellets 4.5% AA
  • 1 1/2 oz. Kent Golding hop pellets 4.5% AA
  • 1/2# lactose
  • 1 package Burton water salts
  • Wyeast London Ale 1028
Didn't really know how to suspend the hops in the fermenter so wound up dropping the bag in... we'll see how easy it is to get out in three days.



Stout's currently in the primary and now on to the Sour Ale.

No comments: